All counsellors are registered with the ICO (Information Commissioners Office) which means I need to tell you what data we are collecting from you and what I intend to do with it.
The following applies to counsellors working as affiliated individuals.
What data do I keep and why do I need it?
- Name and age – this is basic information that helps me get to know you.
- Address, email address, phone number – I use this as a way of contacting you regarding your sessions.
- Doctors details – If I was worried that you were at risk then I may need to contact your doctor, if I can I will always discuss this with you first.
The lawful basis on which I use this information
To collect and use data you share, I must show the ICO that I have a lawful basis to do so. I also need to inform you what this lawful basis is.
I have determined that ‘legitimate interests’ is the most appropriate lawful basis for both personal (article 6) and special category data (article 9). See https://bit.ly/2FLs0Bu for more details.
Will I share your data and if I do who will I share it with and for what purpose?
It is very unlikely that I will share your data. I will not sell it on or use it for unethical reasons.
I would only share data in line with ethical and legal obligations.
- During my supervision sessions I may talk about our work together. However, only your first name would be used.
- If I receive a Court Order for the release of our notes.
- If you disclose you are at risk of serious harm to yourself or others or someone else is at risk.
- If you share information about a proposed act of terrorism/money laundering/drug trafficking.
- If there is a request by the Police for information regarding a road traffic accident.
- I have appointed a Clinical Executor. In the unfortunate event I can no longer work with you they will have access to your details and will get in touch with you.
How will I store your data?
Your data is kept on a password protected document, saved on a pc which is password protected and backed up on an external hard drive which is encrypted and locked away. I assign a unique client code and transfer your name and code to my password protected pc. Your files are encrypted and saved in separate folders which are also password protected. I do not store your phone number in my phone.
How long will I store your data for and how will I dispose of it?
I’ll keep your session notes, your name and your unique code for 7 years which is the time frame my insurance company requests. I’ll delete all of your other personal information 1 month after our work finishes.
If you have any concerns about how your data has been used please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF – Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (national rate).